Best Way To Cut Out? (Photoshop)

Frinky

I was wondering what is the best way to cut out someone, lets say from a candid/event photo, and made a wallpaper from that cutout? I know the basics of magic wand, lasso, quick selection, but I was wondering if there are and videos or guides which can help me get the best results without having to zoom in and click on every pixel around the cutout.

userforusing

Ex-Moderator , Editor
Yeah there are some vids on youtube. Selection of the tools depends also on the background and stuff. Hardest part is usually hair...it just takes some time to cut out someone...depends also on the PS version your are using, CS 5 has a pretty good option to refine the edges.

Frinky

Yeah, that is what I have trouble with is hair. Since it is hard for it to automatically select around the hair because of the really light colors.

userforusing

Ex-Moderator , Editor
It is. To refine, or let's say "hide" the edges around the hair (when they are not cut perfectly) you can add a shine or some stroke around the person you cut out. Checks Jimmy's Thread, he often did that, I would search some images for you but my internet won't let me, same for videos.