NFL 2011 Season

DonFrosto

Cheesehead
The day is upon us fellow NFL fans!!...If there are any of you left in here that is, otherwise, this thread is going to get lonely rather quickly. I'd rather not talk to myself for the whole season. Yes, the lockout ended, a while ago, so those of you that have been out of the loop, there you go. Huyter, Captain Charisma, come back or something!! :(

In approximately 18 hours, the Green Bay Packers begin their Super Bowl title defense against the New Orleans Saints in historic Lambeau Field. Why the Saints?? I have no f*cking clue!! There's that whole "pitting the previous 2 SB winners against each other" theory, but why this season? Why not play the Bears, who we beat to get to the Super Bowl (in a rather thrilling championship game I might add)?? Nahhh that's lame. Who cares that the Packers-Bears match-up also happens to be one of the most (if not, THE most) storied rivalries in the NFL?? Obviously rivalries aren't prime kick-off games. Just imagine how lame it would be if we started the NFL season (or any sports season, doesn't have to be NFL) with a rivalry game. Go ahead, think about it for a second.........Yea not exciting at ALL. Or how about the Steelers?! A nice little SB rematch!! :D You know....any team that we played against last year that ended up being an important game in our SB run?? Like they've been doing for kick-off games the past several years.

But I digress.. NFL season starts later today. Let your thoughts on all things NFL 2011 (or anything foosball related) be heard here.

Go Pack Go!! :yeah:

Last edited:

Huyter

Oh yeah the NFL is starting. Yawn.... I hope I didn't miss anything.

Forgot about this place for a sec.

Btw i doubt mersa will partake but you never know.

DonFrosto

Cheesehead
Huyter!! Man I thought you were a goner. Nice to hear you're still alive and kicking!! :D

And about tonights game, glad the Pack didn't forget how to give me a heart attack :p1 We got the W on an awesome goal-line stand, no better way to win a game :yes1: But our defense definitely needs some fixing up. Granted the Saints do have one of the most potent offenses, it's still kinda scary how easily they were able to move the ball down the field. They pulled through in the end though. What I'm very worried about though is Tramon Williams' injury. I hope it's nothing too serious :sad1:

On the positive side, our offense played great. Still driving the ball down the field the way we did last year. Also very nice to see us being somewhat successful in the run game!! :D

Huyter

Yeah I'm alive but busy, so looking at females is gone. Thought i would talk Football since it's Football season. you should include College Football as-well.

I thought the game was good. I was a bit surprised at the special teams though. there were 2 or 3 td's off punts/kickoffs which is rare. I knew GB was going to win, but i was hoping it would go into overtime. Pretty good game overall. Gb is stout, NO is also stout. Will be a good season for both i predict.

I didn't know Nelson was a decent receiver. I always thought it was the Jennings/Driver show. Finley was also good.

Anything i miss since I left??

DonFrosto

Cheesehead
Yea I'll edit the original post to include CFB as well. Speaking of CFB, the demise of the Big 12 :( It's all thanks to the stupid Longhorn Network. I hated the idea when it was brought up, and now my worst fears are coming true with A&M trying to leave (though apparently Baylor is trying to put a stop to that??)

I have to agree with you on the Special Teams. Even with all those touchbacks, to get 2 kickoff td's in one game is a rarity. Not sure if it's just two teams with poor return coverage though (we certainly weren't very good at it last year). I still don't like that they moved the ball up for kickoffs. I don't think we'll see the kind of ST game we saw in every game this season. Oh, and OMFG Randall Cobb!! :bow1:

Jordy!! Yea his role is definitely increasing in our offense. He was the top receiver in the SB so it shouldn't come as too much of a shock that he had a great game tonight. He had some 140 yds in the SB, and probably would've broken a SB record if he hadn't dropped several passes. Looks like he fixed that problem though!! And I'm soooo glad Finley is back!! Looking forward to unleashing that weapon this year!! :Haha:

What you missed :hm1:

Well BabyLamb left us :sad1: and you literally just missed skins.be annual Babe Tournament.

Huyter

Oh what is the Longhorn Network? Is it like some sort of 24/7 Texas all access and stuff??
Personally i think that A&M willl move eventually. Which is somewhat lame, but the Big12 isn't what it used to be (even though this year, its probably at its finest with OKST, OK, A&M, NEB and (Baylor/Texas with luck) all potentially vying for a BCS bid).. Baylor is a beast.

Yeah the ST was strange. The new Kick-Off rule hampers the game in a way. Hopefully it will change to something that both the fans and the board can both appreciate. I thought he was going to be tackled (Cobb) but he spun and kept moving. There seems to be a decent amount of Pack fans on the westcoast. Not sure if its cause of the recent success or just the fact that I haven't been paying attention much.

Yeah i'm impressed with Jordy. GB has a good WR core. Even Starx(sp) had a good game. So Gb is solid. I did want to see Collins and Woodson step up a bit more though.

Oh i see. Dang, i always seem to miss the BT stuff. oh yeah the lamb person. hmm many people seem to be leaving. guess this stuff isnt as exciting as it used to be.

DonFrosto

Cheesehead
Yea you hit the nail on the head there. Access/info/coverage to all sports, so football, basketball, baseball, volleyball, any other ---balls out there, swimming, you know, all of the above. What's retarded though is that NO one is carrying it as part of their package!! At least none of the major cable/dish (for example Time Warner, DirectTV, Dish). It's stupid. They seriously alienated their fan base as a result of this. Some football games will ONLY be aired on the network, it's ridiculous. Even in Austin, where the university is located, only one cable provider has it, and it's like the cheapest of the cheap cable providers also.

The Big XII is looking pretty strong. A good number of them are ranked in the Top 25. One note though, Nebraska isn't a member anymore, they're now in the Big 10 with Michigan and Ohio State and all that. A&M will probably leave, and when they do, that's pretty much the end of the conference right there. I heard rumors that UT and OU may go over to the Pac 10 (or 12....whatever it is now). Idk it's all up in the air. Another rumor I heard was UT going independent. :sad1:

I think they showed some stat where there were only 2 touchbacks all of last year at Lambeau, and last night there were what?? 7?! It reduces the number of kick returns. I think part of the reason they did that was to reduce the amount of injuries?? But as a result, they reduced the amount of excitement of kick-returns. :(

I did see more fans around campus this year. I think it's bc of the recent success. That happens every year though. In every sport. And Cobb got help from Kuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuhn as well!! That's a teammate right there. And his TD run after-the-catch was sweet as well. :D The Starks/Grant line-up should be something great this year also. I'm really hoping that it was just Game 1 jitters, I think they'll be okay this year. I was very relieved when I found out that Tramon Williams only had a bruised shoulder :phew1:

What are your thoughts/expectations on the Bills this year?? Or are you following a different team??

And how about Peyton Manning missing his first start?? And who knows how many games after that. We'll see how Collins does. The Texans road to their first ever playoff visit just got a whole lot easier.

I haven't been on here a whole lot either. Been busy with classes now underway and work and all that stuff.

Huyter

I see. Well i could see how that could hamper their fanbase for sure. I just think that Texas is in a desperate state with the whole not meeting expectations last season thing. Well do you get the channel? if so how is it like? It must be somewhat monotonous for anybody that isnt a Longhorn fan.

My bad on Nebraaska (I hardly follow the Big12). Still yeah A&M,OK, Okst are all really strong. I think in the end there will be four major conferences since many teams are leaving. Like Big10 Pac12 SEC and some ACC/Bigeast hybrid. I heard the same rumors about UT and OU. I think they may have to cross ship eventually. The Big12 is getting weaker along with the ACC/BigEast. It seems as though its all SEC atm. I have West Coast bias as-well so i wouldn't mind having 14 or even 16 teams in the PAC.

I just hope that Devin Hester breaks that KD/Punt record before he retires. I feel that now the only way to get a td on st is on a block punt/fieldgoal. Maybe they will squib kick it to receivers that aren't used to returning the football. Who knows....

As far as the Bills, yes i'm still a fan and yes i still dislike Brady/Menonuos. Umm expectations this year is to finish above .500 realistically, but hopefully they can grab a wildcard spot. we have some new personnel (Brad Smith/Shawn Merriman), but i think we are going to have to get lucky to win.
Bleh Peyton is alright. The colts will do fine without him. They will struggle but they have a veteran team, and still have some explosive weapons (Colle,Wayne,Freeney). But i think the Texans will find a way. They're too talented to have another sub-par season.

Yep yep, school is busy. Magazines will have to wait.

DonFrosto

Cheesehead
That might be why they did it. But if you're trying to bounce back from a terrible season, why would you expose your team to the whole nation and get all this press coverage?? Wouldn't you want to shut all doors and just get back to basics?? And get rid of all the off-the-field distractions. I live like 3 blocks from campus and I don't get the channel!! People that live in the dorms get the channel, and that's about it. No other restaurants, sports bars, or any other places like that get the channel (not that I know of). Some of my friends went to a wing restaurant and had to listen to the game over the radio!! I'm a Texas fan and I hate it!! Yea let's just whore ourselves out for the whole country. Give people another reason to blame us for the demise of the Big XII. On a side note, I think OKST is going to win the conference this year (or maybe I'm just hoping). They were playing the same time as the Packers game and they looked pretty solid from what I saw. And I'm seeing way too much Alabama red in Happy Valley. Come on Penn State!!

I think the whole super-conference idea would be pretty sweet!! That'll maybe get us one step closer to a playoff!! :D Maybe something like the conference championships in basketball. Where there's a playoff for the conference title, then the winners would go and face-off in a Final 4 or however many conferences there will be. Or you know, we could just adopt the college basketball post-season (with a reduced amount of participants obviously).

You mean something like this?? Ughhh that play pissed me off soooooooo much. How many TD returns did Hester get last year?? Wasn't it a dramatically lower amount?? I guess if it was, it makes sense for teams to kick away from him. I know we stopped kicking to him in the middle of one of our games and never went back. That guy is too dangerous.

Ahh yea I forgot you guys picked up Merriman. Going to have some wildcat/option type plays in Buffalo this year with Smith. I never saw any of your pre-season highlights, just going off of what he did in NY. I hope CJ Spiller has a better run this time around. Was he returning kicks last year??

They are an experienced team, it's just going to be weird seeing someone else starting as QB for the Colts. Go Texans!! I love their uni's, especially their red alternates. Def one of my fav's of the year.

Hey how do you watch your Bills games?? You have that Sunday Ticket thing or do you just find someplace online to watch them??

Huyter

Well in terms of why Texas did the deal, they probably needed funding for their program. With the rise of texas A&M, Baylor Texas Tech and Tcu, texas has almost become a shadow of these teams due to their recent success. They need revenue for scholarships and players. Also what excites players more than being able to play a televised game every week and potentially getting noticed by recruiters etc. So thats my thinking on it but i may be wrong. A&M already declared they are leaving so eventually Texas will have to either choose Independent or move to the PAC as-well.

Um yeah i don't like any play involving Tom or any other patriots players. unfortunately the Pats lit up Miami on Monday so I'm certain its going to be a two team race between NE and NYJ for home field and the division. I believe Hester got a few, not too many. He's still explosive but now Smith will have to use him as a WR/Cb more. He performed well against the falcons (hope GB can prepare). The Forte guy is also fun to watch. He made like 6 falcon defenders miss.

Yeah Spiller was returning kicks though he needs to improve his YPG and YAC. Hes elusive but he has to develop a bit more of his run through the tackles type of running. Umm yeah Sunday ticket is what I'm using. What about you?

Oh and about the Texans, yeah they definitely made a point on Sunday. So did Baltimore IMO. Both won very good games against divisional opponents. i think Both are frontrunners in their division. This weekend should be good. Hopefully Bills make it two in a row.

DonFrosto

Cheesehead
Ehhh I don't really think Texas "needed" the money. Yes, Texas isn't dominating the conference as it was a couple of years ago, but the university still has one of the top athletic programs in the country. They're consistently good in basketball, baseball, volleyball, along with a lot of other collegiate sports that aren't televised. Sure they lost some money b/c they didn't make it to a bowl game last year, but I'm sure they still had plenty of money laying around from the success from previous years. Football provides most of the revenue from athletics at pretty much every school, but UT is raking in a good amount of revenue from it's basketball program. They did the LHN b/c they were offered a crap-ton of money. From a business perspective, you'd be stupid not to take that amount money. I hope Texas joins the PAC, even if it doesn't make much geographical sense. I'll even be okay with following A&M to the SEC. Anywhere!! Just don't be independent. A school will not/cannot win a national title that way.

God Brady got so much praise on ESPN for that performance (as always). Yes it was a lot of yds, most ever in blahblahblah, okay I get!! Don't talk about it all damn week!! How about we preview some of next weeks games?? Hester didn't do a whole lot to us at WR. He really did a number on us on kick/punt returns though. So if we're smart and kick away from him, or just have better kick coverage, we should be okay. When he's at WR, we can put Shields on him, who can pretty much keep up with anyone and has improved a whole lot on defending the pass. We'll see what they do.

He's still young, so he has plenty of time to get all that figured out. I just find streams online. I'd like to have Sunday Ticket, but $400 for 4 months is something I can't afford right now. Sure I miss out on HD, but I'll live. I watched most of my games last year online and everything turned out fine. They recently announced that the Sunday Ticket will be available through the PS3, so I got pretty excited, hoping that I would be somewhat affordable. It wasn't :( Same price. Oh well.

Yea Baltimore sure impressed me. Didn't expect that kind of score that's for sure. We play the Panthers this week. We should come out with a W, but with Cam's performance, and us giving up all those yards to NO, it looks like there's trouble afoot. I hope we can make Cam look like a rookie [-o<

Edit: I didn't know you guys picked up Nick Barnett!! :D

Last edited:

Huyter

Well the money will definitly help fund their program better, because they are definitely having a more difficult time recruiting players than in 06/07 when they were national champs. But I don't deny that they necessarily need the money. They have lots of cash. Thats for certain, but to be competitive you need to bring in talent and their success recently doesn't translate into 5 stars etc. Texas's basketball team is overrated imo, but that is left for another thread. But their Football team is undefeated, so far they've played to expectations. But soon that Big 12 schedule will kick in and we will see if they truly deserve a shot at the NC.

Yeah Brady's praise was boring and dull like usual. Unfortunatly he is tearing it up this season, so im scared about how he's gonna fair against the bills. (which won a crazy good game in Buffalo which was really cool). Hopefully the Pats are rubbish and falter. Yeah you guys beat the Panthers (from what i remember). your 2-0 as well. Interesting. This season seems to be going smoothly.

Yeah the price is quite steep. i watch occasionally online if i must. It's okay, as long as the picture quality is acceptable and all. I never erally have a season to watch the bills because of their tumultuous seasons.. but this year i may have to). You get some football games though? on local channels and cable right? Shields seems like he's having a bit of a problem covering, or maybe its Collins. One of them seems to be a bit slower than what i remember from the playoff run. Maybe a injury of some sort?

Yeah, we picked up quite a bit from what I've seen. He played well last week against the Raiders so i'm cool with him aboard the Bills.
Pats this weekend, Pats this weekend Pats this weekend at home....

DonFrosto

Cheesehead
Yea I know they've lost their spot atop the throne, but it'Texas has looked good so far this season, well, at least better than last. Then again, we haven't really played anyone worth mentioning except maybe BYU. McCoy's little brother has overtaken the starting job and he looked great against UCLA!! Also, I haven't been preaching it, but apparently this Malcolm Brown (our RB) guy is supposed to be something special. He's looked great thus far but then again, no worthy opponents. Our true test comes in two weeks in the Red River Shootout :S

..lol, well the basketball makes the tourney pretty much every year, that brings in some $$$. That's all I was trying to say :D

Anywho, no PAC-16 or whatever it would have been. They shut down any ideas for expansion, so it looks like the Big 12 is here to stay for now. I also hate that Texas is kind of "in charge" of things now thanks to that ESPN deal :S Ugghhhhh this suuuucks.

On to NFL, I wish I would've been able to see your game!! Unfortunately it was on at the same time as ours, and I'm not sure if they were showing it on CBS over here. But still, great comeback victory!! :Good2: Several division match-ups this weekend. We play the Bears, you go up against the Pats. Eagles-Giants. Btw, the Lions are freaking killing it!! It's sort of scary..

Some games I will be able to watch, like this Sundays matchup against the Bears for example, and the prime-time games of course. Other than that, if the cowgirls are playing the same time we are, then there is zero chance of our game being broadcast. Well our whole secondary has looked like crap tbh (Woodson I'll give a pass :p 2 INT's and 1 fumble recovery last game). The rest though..tsktsk. Giving up 400+passyds on back to back weeks?! One to a rookie!? Unacceptable. I hope we get our shit together for our match-up on Sunday.

Not sure if you saw, but the injury bug has struck us once again. Nick Collins is out for the season. Man was I bummed when I found that out :(

Huyter

Yeah the Bills were able to get it done versus the Pats. Pretty good game, though we still need to beat the jets and dolphins which are tough aswell. Im just glad that this year we wont be the worst team in the NFL judging by what has happened to far. Seems like GB is also undefeated so its getting interesting (though that questionable call on the punt return was weird. Would have made the game more exciting. Jets also lost so the Bills are in 1st place in the division for the time being. College football has been normal. Nothing unusual except for the fact that Lsu stomped WVU. So LSU will have a legitimate shot at being in the Nc game.

Colts are playing like a Andrew Luck pickup team right now... They are doing terrible. Collins can't connect with the WR's and the Defense is getting burnt by long throws/Good WR's. I think the Colts will lose 10-12 games this season. Umm 49er's playing decent, Lions are doing good as-well. umm thats about all to report on for last week.

DonFrosto

Cheesehead
I'm so glad you guys pulled off another comeback. I think I saw some stat that said you were the only team to ever come back from a 20+ pt deficit for 2 consecutive weeks?? Idk something like, either way, I'm cheering for you guys :D Take it to goddamn Jets!! That punt stunt was pretty insane. EVERYONE ran right to Hester (even though MM said the play was going to Knox, and that everyone knew) :hm1: I never actually saw the call, not b/c of fan-blindness, it's just that I missed the replay of the hold. Nonetheless, we got the W. Only 3 undefeateds remain, 2 of them are in the NFC North :O

That A&M-OKST game was pretty crazy. A story of two half's/halves/idk for sure.

Yea the Colts don't look like they're going anywhere, thought they played the Steelers pretty well Sunday night, same with the Chiefs against the Chargers so maybe there's hope in KC?? It's a shame b/c they were a really exciting team to watch last season, and to have such an abysmal start with injuries and all the blowouts, it just sucks...

We play the Pretty Orange Ponies this week **tries to hold back excitement**

Their offense is just terrible...well from the one Monday Night game I saw.

DonFrosto

Cheesehead
AGHHHH!!!! Welcome back Cap'n!! :D

I'm still worried about our pass defense. We've given up a TON of yards so far this year, but we still got the W's, so in the end that's all that matters.